1. Drive down to the Green Lights of Dallas; drive past them. Over Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge and past the new trolley tracks, to Davis Street – 829. Find Spinster Records illuminated on the dark end of the street, past the bars and sidewalks of Bishop Arts.
2. Walk through the open door.
3. Wander amongst the boxes and record walls, looking for something, or looking for nothing.
4. Look up to the wall to see the curated element of the shop – see new Valerie June reminding you to listen, make a decision, maybe buy it. See PJ Harvey bringing you love since 1995. See Lianne La Havas asking you to Spotify quietly later if you don’t want to admit you haven’t heard her now. Pay no mind to Ryan Adams, he’s just trying to sing to girls again with too many lyrics that repeat. Follow instead the dead voice that says “…I was your mine…”
5. Flip through the boxes; on the edge of the wall, on the stands in the center of the floor. Approve of the bargain bin with 30% off of past Record Store Day offerings. Feel a little bit bummed at the component of the inventory that is random and cheap and common – like the things you flip through at resale shops and antique stores. But basically approve of the shop and theorize that the curation will hone in with time.
6. Overhear the guy at the counter, explaining to an indignant man that he will buy his record slop, but only at $30 for the pile, not at $15 or $20 each. Chuckle a little to yourself, listen to the indignity rise further, and the shop guy appeal to logic.
7. Look at the merch and misc along the far back wall. Lay eyes on a Silas Nello tee that you may or may not have the first crappy sketch mock up for on your phone. Browse the magazine racks, and encounter a favorite artist on a cover.
8. Buy what you are going to, pay the man and step out into the street.
9. Cross the dark street in a blur, towards Seoul Kitchen for pot stickers and fusion tacos. Try the curry fries; be surprised that you like them. Try a handful of different sauces in jars along the walls.
10. Eat the only cookie worth giving a fuck about. Your night is complete.